[Dshield] Re: PlanetLab port 8808

TRushing@hollandco.com TRushing at hollandco.com
Wed Oct 20 14:56:48 GMT 2004

Tim Rushing/holland wrote on 10/19/2004 03:15:55 PM:

> We block outbound 8808 traffic and I've seen some odd hits in our
> firewall for 206.240.24.41 port 8808.  I've not had an opportunity
> to examine the machine and I'm not seeing constant hammering, so I
> do not think this is an infection issue.
>

> I've written Mark at PlanetLab but thought I'd check in here too.

My original message hasn't made it through to the list yet, but I have
heard back from PlanetLab, so I wanted to let people know what they had to
say.  What I was seeing was a transparent web bug that was triggered from
www.electoral-vote.org.  It is being used to measure network latency based
on the time it takes for the TCP handshake to complete.  Apparently they
have them at a number of sites.

       Tim Rushing