[Dshield] Digital certificates

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 18:32:02 GMT 2004

Alan

This will depend on a couple of things the Browser and what the user has
previously done.

Normally the First time the user hits the Web Site the Certificate is
presented. Most browsers honor this. When the Certificate is presented it
will state a couple of things.

         The Certificate is in the "Trust" list or Not.
         The date is "valid."
         The Name matches the Web Site. "mytestdomain.com"

It offers the chance to view certificate and to "trust" or "not trust" it.

Then you get to the Dialog box that has the stupid checkmark "Remember My
decision" don't show me this no more. Most Users check the box... If they
had previously trusted the site, it could allow a user to get past any
warning that may popup warning the user of the expired certificate.

Inherent training of most users is "not" to looked at Individual
Certificates. Just Click Okay, My Bank would protect me.

Al