[Dshield] Digital certificates

Clement Dupuis cdupuis at cccure.org
Fri Oct 22 12:59:58 GMT 2004

It also depends on what you client site looks like and is use for.  Is it
strictly an informational site or are they conducting ecommerce on the site
as well. What type of traffic do they get, what is their level of trust with
their own clients?

Myself I would be reluctant to buy anything on a web site where my browser
tells me that the certificate is expired.  I would even be worried when I
connect to a web site where I get a popup saying the certificate is expired.
It does not give you a high sense of trust.

Knowing how development project goes, your month or so could become a few
months or so.  Is it acceptable for them to tell their client that they care
so much about them that they will not even prove without a doubt they are
who they pretend to be.  It is also a question of image.

You might want to look at some of the cheap alternative such as Geotrust or
others that do not cost as much as a Verisign, Thawte, or any of the big
guys to fill in the gap in the meantime. Such a certificate will cost you
probably $150 or less and It would look a lot more professional than having
a warning that pops up.

Clement

Clement Dupuis, CD
cdupuis at cccure.org
The Professional Security Testers Warehouse
http://www.professionalsecuritytesters.org