[Dshield] Digital certificates

stephane nasdrovisky stephane.nasdrovisky at paradigmo.com
Fri Oct 22 13:10:35 GMT 2004

Alan Frayer wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 03:38, Stephane Grobety wrote:
>
>>AF> What is the effect of an expired certificate, both on the hosting site and on the browser that encounters it?
>>
>>Well, the question, as such, doesn't make a whole lot of sense...
>>

>They are in the process of building a new web site, using a different host and the
>certificate on the current host may expire before the new site is ready.

With some web servers (at least netscape/iplanet/sun one/name of the
day), it's possible to migrate your old server's certificate to your new
one (If the 2 servers are using the same version, a file copy is
enough). I guess it's possible with most web servers. Knowledge of ssl &
your web server is not an option. (Being able to click on
yes/ok/install/finish is not to be considered as knowledge).
If you prefer the expired certificate solution, some customers may not
like the error message (which could lead to helpdesk flooding).