[Dshield] reporting on firewall logs

David Cary Hart DavidHart at TQMcube.com
Wed Oct 27 01:07:02 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 13:07, shawn reed wrote:

> Redhat 9. Using gawk to extract and sort the logs.

>From Netfilter Patch-o-matic, install ulog (which substitutes for the
LOG target). Follow the instructions to input the ULOG output to a MySQL
db. The DB is updated in real time. Make sure that you set ULOG to batch
- print and store - 25 to 50 records at a time. This will save lots of
cycles.

Once you have the data in a db you can do whatever you want with them.
MySql has the necessary built-ins to convert unix to human time and
binary IPs to octets.