[Dshield] Re: Risk Assessment

Mar Matthias Darin BDarin at tanaya.net
Wed Oct 27 09:05:36 GMT 2004

Hello,

I can honestly say yes as I receive constant feedback from them and adapt as
necessary to accomodate their needs/wants.

I list my server as a private filtered system with a complete list of
exactly what gets stopped at the door.  Understandably, not every user will
subscribe to a service such as mine.  But the one that have haven't left
yet.

Alan Frayer writes:

> Are you SURE your users call it efficient? Looks to me like you keep
> your users like mushrooms.
>
> If I were hosting users, I think I could effectively filter their
> e-mails without being as dramatic.

Good question...  About a month ago I had a majority request to disable the
email blocking engines for a 30 day review.  I will be quite honest that
this period was a hair pulling experience for me.  The 30 day review lasted
3 daya. My postmast account was overloaded with mail to re-activate the
email blocking engine.

I took a survey afterwards regarding the email they received.  The
overwhelming result was that they hard a hard time finding real mail from
the spam and quite a few said they inadvertently deleted their real mail
trying to wade through the spam.

In the event that something does break (bad patch or buggy update), I do
hear about, either by email or by phone.  All of my users have both and will
not hesitate to use them at any given time.  When a user signs on,
everything is layed out clearly.  Also my userbase is by referal.  I don't
advertise, The users do that for me.

As to the intelligence of my users, Of the top of my head, I can think of at
least 10 PhD's that are users on my system.  The fields of expertise ranges
from Theology to Electrical Engineering.  My advantage point is that my
users have set items they require or want for their work/research.  In all
cases security is the #1 item on the list.

All of them have used other services and they still chose the limits of my
server. Ex- AOL, EarthLink and MSN user comprise about 50% of my userbase.

I fill a nitch in the market and as long as their is a nitch, there will
always be someone there to fill it.  Its no different then SafeNet or other
service that stays in business by users that WANT limits (antispam, parental
filters, and so on).

As to my competitors, working in a nitch market means that I have no or very
little competition.  Its very different that a regular public market.

Public markets work on competition, which is good for consumers.  Nitch
markets exist because the public market doesn't or won't provide the
specific services/limits the consumer seeks.