[Dshield] *.blue.aol.com

Laura Vance vancel at winfreeacademy.com
Thu Oct 28 14:30:41 GMT 2004

There are several people on the network using AIM, but the strange thing
was that after I examined all of the daily reports emailed from DShield,
I saw that it only happened on 20th, 21st, and 22nd.  I'm also guessing
that since I don't send hostnames in on my reports that DShield does a
DNS lookup on the IP addresses, so at that point DNS spoofing is not a
concern.  The thing that's weird is that it seemed to be 3 entire class
C networks that were participating in this port scan.

The IP ranges were: (for simplicity patterns below are perl regex style)
152.163.208.* (wads-r\d\dc.blue.aol.com)
205.188.165.* (wads-d\d\db.blue.aol.com)
64.12.174.* (wads-m\d\d[ca].blue.aol.com)

They were all doing port scans, so there wasn't a focused attack on a
specific port.