[Dshield] SMTP server banner?

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Oct 31 10:12:58 GMT 2004

tor, 28.10.2004 kl. 23.20 skrev Schneelocke:

[...]

> I personally think that it's best to give out as much information as
> necessary but, at the same time, as little as possible, so I'd suggest
> something like this:
>
> 220 host.domain.tld ESMTP
>
> and nothing else (assuming your mail server does ESMTP). In
> particular, I'd advise against putting in the mail server software's
> name or version, since that makes scanning for vulnerable versions
> when a new hole is found much easier.

I'll guarantee that I'm able to tell you what MTA software is being run
for any major type used on the Internet, irrespective of what appears in
the banner.

--Tonni

--
«Livet er ein gamp», sa øyken.
I can confirm this.

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...