[Dshield] Submitting DSHIELD reports, Dyn IP's and MX hosts

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Tue Aug 2 19:52:07 GMT 2005

Dave wrote:
[snip]

>Now, since some of us have started sending mail directly to dshield and spamcop, bypassing our local ISP smarthost to improve performance...
>
>I found the 2nd choice MX [for dshield] (iceman12-ext.giac.net) is blocking mail from Dynamic IP blocks:
>
>  dave at els1:~$ telnet mail2.dshield.org 25
>  Trying 65.173.218.113...
>  Connected to iceman12-ext.giac.net.
>  Escape character is '^]'.
>  220 rblsmtpd.local
>  helo its-me
>  250 rblsmtpd.local
>  mail from: <my_email>
>  250 rblsmtpd.local
>  rcpt to: reports at dshield.org
>  451 Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?<my_dyn_ip>
>  data
>  451 Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?<my_dyn_ip>
>  quit
>  221 rblsmtpd.local
>  Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>The other 2 MX's accept my mail.  Only the 2nd choice is rejecting.  Could someone rectify the situation?  Or are we going to be forced to use our ISP smarthosts?

I guess I'm lucky, my ip is not listed at sorbs.net. Just record me as
another one who sends mail from a dynamic ip, for LEGITIMATE purposes,
and good reasons. The server at my ISP has a knack of going down just
when I'm ready to send something important.

Anyway, the server at mail2.dshield.org introduces itself as "220
iceman12-ext.giac.net - Welcome to our SMTP server ESMTP" to me, so it
looks like it has been fixed.