[Dshield] Spam 101 Question

Jeffrey Pike jpike at gpl.org
Fri Aug 5 14:35:25 GMT 2005

I have begun using a script cobbled together from samples I found on
Microsoft's Web site to e-mail the library's newsletter to individual
recipients using my local SMTP service (Windows Server 2003/IIS 6.0). I used
the script twice in the last week and a half, sending around 300 messages
each time. In the same period I have received about 900 returned mails,
bounced spam with my originating e-mail address in the From: field. A random
sample indicates the spam originated in Korea.

How (why?) did this happen, and is it my fault? Can I do anything to stop
it?

I can provide headers, and the script, too, if that would help. If there is
a more appropriate forum in which to address my questions, please feel free
to refer me there.

Thank-you.
Jeffrey Pike
Technology Services Librarian