[Dshield] SMTP question....

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 8 16:11:42 GMT 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:54:30 EDT, Richard Golodner said:
> running an unknown spamming agent on their workstation. I have nine branches
> and all of the mail comes through corporate. If anyone has any ideas please
> reply to me off list or on so that others may learn as well.

Most likely, the problem is you only *thought* all mail came through corporate. ;)

Remember that unless your firewall is blocking/redirecting all outbound SMTP
traffic that isn't from the corporate mailserver, there's no reason why spamware
on a PC can't make its own outbound SMTP connections.  Just because Outlook
isn't designed to doesn't mean a Windows app can't do it..