[Dshield] SMTP question....

Kevin kkadow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 06:03:22 GMT 2005

On 8/8/05, Mike Easter <mike.easter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Golodner wrote:
> >             We noticed that we have been placed on a blacklist at
> > Spamcop and I am trying to figure out why.
>
> The blocked message should give a link to the IP's status and some
> additional information at SC.
>
> SC doesn't block anything, but many people use the SCbl as part of an
> antispam strategy.

And many individuals and organizations disregard the official policy of
SCbl and use this DNSBL to outright block messages, then wonder
why  legitimate mail is blocked -- for my personal email I would defer
messages based on bl.spamcop.net lookups, until very recently

> If a server is being blocked, it might be caused by
> misdirected bounces or autoresponders.

I am not sure when Spamcop changed the policy, but they will now put
an IP address on the blacklist if the server at that IP address delivers
*any* email at all to their secret "spamtrap" address, including bounces.

This means that if *anybody* in your organization has remote out-of-office
autoreplies turned on, or if *any* internal mailserver generates bounce
messages, your internet-facing outbound SMTPl gateway(s) will
eventually end up listed on the SCbl (voice of experience here).

Kevin Kadow