[Dshield] ID theft ring hits 50 banks, firm says

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Tue Aug 9 18:02:31 GMT 2005

tir, 09.08.2005 kl. 17.06 skrev Mark Tombaugh:

> > about all Dutch (read "The Netherlands") banks (mine's ING Bank,
> > don't use passwords, they use a machine-based (I get a credit-card sized
> > but thicker "calculator", at no cost to me) one-time challenge/response
> > protocol over https for admission to Internet users' accounts and a
> > separate challenge/response, once "inside" that account, for any
> > transaction attempted.
>
> Very curious, what product are they using? I have seen some fairly
> amazingly priced similar solutions (eg
> http://www.securecomputing.com/index.cfm?skey=1131 at around 10-15 USD
> per user) and am considering implementing something similar, just not
> sure which products are excelling in the real world.

"Made in China", that's what it says on mine. Aka "Why not write to them
and ask them?" Try info at ingbank.nl. However, given the size of ING Bank
(HUGE) and likewise the quality of its IT division, I'd more likely
guess that my calculator is an in-house product and that you'll get no
useful info from them. Same with the other large Dutch banks (ABN/AMRO,
Rabo, SNS/B, Fortis, etc.)

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl