[Dshield] Spam 101 Question

Jeffrey Pike jpike at gpl.org
Wed Aug 10 16:00:47 GMT 2005

> If you are just sending a Newsletter and have a valid email server to use
then Consider
> BLAT...In the mean time turn off/stop IIS SMTP! The other thing would be
only turn it on
> when you use it.. then turn it back off...

Al:

I had set the SMTP service to allow relays only from my server's private IP
address and I do turn the service on for only long enough to prepare and
send the newsletter and then turn it right back off. I had thought that
would be sufficient security to keep from becoming an open relay. Maybe not.

I will take a look at BLAT. Thanks for the tip.

Jeffrey Pike