[Dshield] 1026-27

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 12 00:41:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:12:24 EDT, "Jonathan C. Webster" said:

> It's like spam, isn't it?  If *everyone* just dropped  it would stop.

If we're looking for things for *everyone* to do, I suggest we look at
previous "if everyone did it" initiatives:

1) Egress filtering of rfc1918-source packets.
2) Egress filtering of blatant bogon packets (single-homed customer and
source address not in customer's address space, for instance).
3) Installing patches in a timely manner.
4) Quit responding to spam/419 emails.
5) The list goes on...

In other words, holding your breath waiting is likely to cause permanent
discoloration....