[Dshield] Architecture approach

Aaron Lewis aaron at adldatacomm.net
Fri Aug 12 01:56:41 GMT 2005

I'm certainly not top dog on this list, however I will say that the reason
for NATing is to conserve IPv4 space. Contrary to many peoples belief,
NATing doesn't 'hide' anything. In my personal opinion NATing a web server
or any public server for that matter is a waste of time and resources.
Packet filtering in front of a server is obviously useful. NATing also
creates overhead that you DON'T want on a web server.

As far as pinging a firewall just deny ICMP, which is common practice
anyway. You may want to take a peek at
http://www.adldatacomm.net/icmp.html How would a private IP address work on
the outside of the firewall? Where is it going to route to?

As I said I'm certainly not top dog here but that's the way I see it. I'm
not familiar with the Big IP product so I can't comment on that.

ADL