[Dshield] [DShield] Thanks Brian

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Aug 13 01:58:48 GMT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:06:40 CDT, Mike Wydra said:

> Gee, thanks Brian - it was really "swell" of you to post my name with my IP address on this public list. Hope I can return the "favor" some day.

And this e-mail of yours leaked an IP address again.  :)

It's pretty much impossible to talk to anything else on the Internet without
giving out your IP address - it's inherent in the IP protocol.  About the best
you can do is use an obfuscator - FreeNet and the onion-routing Tor network
are two better-known examples.  And even there, incredible cleverness and lots
of very careful crypto is needed.

> we don't want ANYBODY coming into our machines, unless we invite them in.

Unfortunately, if you're running IE and/or Outlook, it's incredibly difficult
to make sure you haven't inadvertently invited them in, as both have a long
history of being easily tricked into issuing an invitation....

It's like a vampyre - you only have to invite them in once, and you rarely
know the true nature of what you're inviting in until it's too late....