[Dshield] [DShield] RE: Thanks Brian

Mike Wydra mwydra1 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 02:49:13 GMT 2005

Aaron Lewis wrote:
>Mike, I don't believe there is any need for panic here. As you saw your IP >address is public to anyone who cares.

Aaron: Thanks, I'm not panicking. I'm aware that every time I go on-line I'm broadcasting my IP address. However, except in the case where my e-mail addy is associated with my IP addy - my full identity is never sent out on the net. Yes it's true that I sign my name to "DShield" posts, and someone with simple knowledge can identify me. However, most people don't know how to do that (some don't even know what their own IP addy is). So I get a little sensitive when I see my IP in the clear. I consider it simple courtesy not to do that kind of stuff - anymore then I would post a DOC attachment on the list. If someone gets my home phone number, they can talk to my answering machine all they want, but they don't get my name, and they don't get to talk to me unless I want to talk to them. I like the little privacy we got left, and don't want to make it easy to connect my dots.

No - I'm not a computer engineer. I'm an electrical engineer with a variety of other talents - and I know enough about the Internet to be dangerous. I'm trying to learn - but you guys and gals are WAY ahead of me. I made a mistake with your post because I thought you were talking about my type of NAT set-up. Obliviously I was wrong... I will now sit down and shut-up.

Mike Wydra