[Dshield] [DShield] RE: Thanks Brian

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Sat Aug 13 05:11:20 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from "Mike Wydra" <mwydra1 at comcast.net> on Fri, 12 Aug 2005
21:49:13 -0500

> However, except in the case where my e-mail addy is associated with my IP addy
> - my full identity is never sent out on the net. Yes it's true that I sign my
> name to "DShield" posts, and someone with simple knowledge can identify me.
> However, most people don't know how to do that (some don't even know what their
> own IP addy is). So I get a little sensitive when I see my IP in the clear.

If you are that sensitive about having your IP in the clear then you need to
start using a proxy or something like sneakemail.  I use sneakemail a lot and a
proxy whenever I am tracking spam.

This is what you send out in every one of your emails, which is in the clear.

comcast.net (sccrmhc11) with SMTP id <20050813024912011000ov6re>; Sat, 13 Aug
2005 02:49:16 +0000

Note that it is you who is making a relationship of user name (of sorts) and
IP, which makes it very easy to search for other things.  You may want to
change the HELO in your email program.

Look at the receive headers in my email and you will only see a non-routable IP
(the IP assigned to this computer) as the HELO from my email program.