[Dshield] [DShield] RE: Thanks Brian

Chad Giulini chad.giulini at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:51:59 GMT 2005

On 8/13/05, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:17:24 CDT, Mike Wydra said:
>
> > if for some reason I suspect I have a real nasty bug - I dump my hard-drive
> > and go to the backup. Dumping my drive includes writing garbage to the entire
> > drive ten times before I reformat. Want to talk about paranoid... :)
>
> Yes, that's paranoid. And that's coming from a professional member of the
> tinfoil-helmet brigade.. :)

If you are that paranoid you may want to take a look at a virtual
system software such as VMware or Virtual PC.  These allow you to run
guest operating systems contained in software.  VMware allows you to
take snapshots of your guest operating systems.  It is completely
possible to make a clean installation of an operating system, snapshot
it, then revert to the known good snapshot periodically.  I have not
used Virtual PC, but I would assume it offers something similar to
this snapshot functionality.

In my opinion, the virtual environment offers a great environment for
experimenting with new operating systems or configurations, and a
decent sandbox for testing/analyzing/evaluating software or malware -
YMMV.

Regards,

Chad