[Dshield] MS implementation of the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 16 04:16:26 GMT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:11:39 EDT, Alan Frayer said:
> dshield.org at keithbergen.com wrote:
>
> >I notice that MS recently released the WGAVT. Doesn't this block ones
> >ability to patch? Assuming that there are people out there running on
> >non-legit licenses, wouldn't they become easily infected?

> It's my understanding the WGAVT doesn't prevent security patching, but
> does prevent upgrades and new services.

Given that even the Linux WINE emulator[1] will pass the WGA testing, and
that the testing can be defeated with a one-line command[2], I'm not sure
that WGA does anything other than frustrate ankle-biters...

[1] http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=95654
[2] http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/microsoft_genuine_ad.html