[Dshield] CNN: Worm strikes down Windows 2000 systems at multiple news organizat ions

Alex Campoe campoe at usf.edu
Wed Aug 17 18:48:03 GMT 2005

Loved the CNN advice on Wolf Blitz yesterday: turn off your machines, go
watch TV or read a book and wait for the storm to end. I almost fell off
the sofa.

Alex

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
> Via CNN.
>
> [snip]
>
> A computer worm shut down computer systems running the Windows 2000 operating system across the United States on Tuesday, hitting computers at CNN, ABC and The New York Times.
>
> Around 5 p.m. computers began crashing at CNN facilities in New York and Atlanta. ABC said its problems began in New York about 1:30 p.m.
>
> The Caterpillar Co. in Peoria, Illinois also was reportedly affected.
>
> David Perry of Trend Micro said that the attack seems to have been triggered by a new worm, called worm--rbot.ebq. He said the symptoms -- computers repeatedly shutting down and rebooting -- was consistent with that virus.
>
> Johannes Ullrich, director of the Sans Institute, a network security firm in Jacksonville, Florida, said the outage also may have been caused by the Zotob worm, which was released last weekend.
>
> "It will connect to a control server to ask for instructions. It scans network neighborhoods and tries to infect them, as well," Ullrich said.
>
> Several versions of the worm have been released, some as late as Tuesday, he said.
>
> [snip]
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html
>
> - ferg
>

> --
> "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
>  Engineering Architecture for the Internet
>  fergdawg at netzero.net or fergdawg at sbcglobal.net
>  ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

--  Alex Campoe, CISSP            Information Security Manager       --
--                                Associate Director, Systems        --
--  Email: campoe at usf.edu         Phone: (813) 974-1796              --
--  Academic Computing            University of South Florida        --