[Dshield] MS Patching side-effects

Tom Aney tomaney at benefittech.com
Thu Aug 18 14:36:07 GMT 2005

The services automated certain user applications via COM.  The services
apparently no longer had permissions to run the applications. (the service
was running under a user customized to have proper permissions)

We don't know which patch did it because we applied several and our main
concern was getting it working again - and rolling back the patches wasn't
an option.

The solution was somewhat unsatisfying, just rebuilt permissions that
'appeared' fine.  The only things were certain of is that the patches did it
(same issue on every server patched) and rebuilding permissions solved
problem.  Sorry not more help - but at least something to watch for/be aware
of.

-Tom