[Dshield] 0-day exploit: Microsoft Internet Explorer "Msdds.d ll"Remote Code Exe cution Exploit

John B. Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 16:54:25 GMT 2005

Stephane,

agreed 100% on the second point re technical details.

Regarding the release of exploit code, I can only think of one other
possible/hypothetical positive value of such an action, which is to
allow "white hat" experts to determine, based on malcode inspection,
whether there are other mitigants (e.g. disabling PnP service) that
could neutralize the exploit that the releaser of the exploit code did
not him or herself perceive and therefore did not communication in any
release of technical details. Having said that I don't think it is at
all ethical to use the public release of exploit code to put pressure on
the code owner to fix the problem.

--
Best Regards,

John Holmblad