[Dshield] Users don't pay attention

admin admin at bartonphillips.com
Fri Aug 19 00:30:23 GMT 2005

I think fighting these exploits is impossible. As soon as I read about
this latest Plug and Play exploit I emailed ten small companies and end
users that I knew were running Windows 2000 and told them where to get
the patch and how to configure their routers and Zone Alarm firewalls.
This was a week ago and so far only one person has done anything. They
are starting to call me one by one asking for help now that they have
been had.

What are we going to do? Most Windows users don't want to know anything
about computers. They won't even turn on the automatic updates or
install patches when they are warned by someone they should trust. I ask
them why? And they say "I don't know how". I say look I told you in the
email and it is all spelled out on the Microsoft web page. I really
think it is a loosing battle!