[Dshield] Users don't pay attention

Fielder, Wayne (CPE) Wayne.Fielder at ky.gov
Fri Aug 19 11:43:06 GMT 2005

I think that is the solution Aaron.  My users are spoiled.  Because many of
them VPN into our network (a decision made by higher authority than I) we
have taken on their home machines as well.  The machines aren't officially
on our support list but we darn sure BETTER support them if we wanna keep
our internal stuff somewhat safe.

I've taken to offering my services whenever they get hit.  I price myself
outta the game and suggest that they read up on nuking their machines and do
it themselves.  No no.  They come to me and pay the price.  Easy money.
SOME of them have grown weary of writing me a monthly or BI MONTHLY check
and have actually started trying to learn something.

Hit people in the pocket book and they begin to realize the fallacy of their
self imposed ignorance.

Some on this list have mentioned "job security" with a smile.  While that's
true on it's face...who really wants to clean up after these people all the
time?  I'm seriously considering amending our Acceptable Use Policy to
include something along the lines of an expectation that the user will
undertake due diligence when using the web and email.  Due Diligence would
be defined as being aware of the sites you are going to, not trusting
embedded links in email, and being forward leaning on OS Patches, AV
signatures, Spybot definitions, and personal firewall updates.  Some penalty
would have to be outlined as well...I'm think public flogging but I doubt
MGMT would accept that.  Perhaps private flogging...