[Dshield] New Phish - AntiPhishing.org?

Chris Wright dshield at yaps4u.net
Fri Aug 19 15:13:20 GMT 2005

Ebay NEVER EVER send out emails making references to your account unless in
response to one that you have sent them.  (They might send out generic
emails, but I can't remember the last time I received one, but to repeat,
they NEVER NEVER EVER send out emails regarding account information, period.

These emails like the ones that you got above are sent to 100's of 1000's of
users.  It redirects you to a site but a uses parts of the ebay site
graphics to make it appear real.  They have not hacked EBAYS servers at all.
I don't know how they got your Ebay User ID, and that is the first time I
have heard of that.

You can report it to ebay by forwarding the original email to :
spoof at ebay.co.uk
(if you ever get a paypal spoof, funnily enough send it to
spoof at paypal.co.uk)
Replace .co.uk with .com or whatever tld/region you are in.

I usually send on ebay/paypal phishing attempts to the spoof addresses.
All other phishing attempts (banks and Nigerian) go to the antiphishing.org
site/address.

But not that I think I can ever say it too many times, No respectable
company EVER EVER sends out an email requesting you to go anywhere and enter
your username and password. EVER EVER EVER.

If you want the absolute best, the most up to date,
anti-phishing/anti-virus/anti-Trojan tool in the world, it is called common
sense and can be downloaded from your parents and peers.  Bin the rest, they
are crap.  Just use CS !!!

Regards

Chris