[Dshield] Users don't pay attention

Clinton E. Troutman troutman at mesh.net
Sun Aug 21 02:14:38 GMT 2005

On Saturday 20 August 2005 18:33, Abuse wrote:
> ** Reply to message from "Clinton E. Troutman" <troutman at mesh.net> on
> Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:24:45 -0500
>
> > I would certainly hope so. However, the problem is exacerbated by the
> > ability to maliciously report folks that piss you off; either manually
> > or automated. Perhaps if there was a penalty for malicious/fallacious
> > reporting, that would be the best start to help the situation.
>
> While there are some people that use reports to get revenge they are the
> minority of the reports.

I'm not certain I'm willing to believe that... I am certain the number of
malicious reports has lessened from several years ago but I think the
perception that those reports may be fallacious carries much weight amongst
those that must deal with those reports.

> The main problem is with the ISPs that ignore
> reports about their users zombied machines because it does not directly
> affect their systems (although it will use a lot of bandwidth).

Yes, ignoring reports is a huge problem, however, I'm not certain the
ignoring is simply because it does not directly affect their systems. More
likely, the ignoring is due to the perceived or actual quagmire of
legal/moral/ethical issues raised when an ISP is forced to face they must
confront a client. But, as I said in an earlier post, certain blatant
behavior is easy to handle within the confines of AUP; then simple
enforcement is demanded.

--
Clinton E. Troutman
CeTro