[Dshield] ISP Responsibity...

Mrcorp mrcorp at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 13:47:41 GMT 2005

I dont know, as I read this thread, it worries me that some of you are actually in favor of an ISP
shutting down ports as it feels it should.  To me that is not appropriate.  Once an ISP shuts
down, lets say 445, the attackers will attack another port, lets say 25.  So the attackers move to
terminal services, and that gets shut down.  Before we know it, all ports are closed and we can
barely surf the Internet.  Shutting down ports is not an answer.  its reactive and completly self
defeats the Internet.  I want to be able to port scan from my computer, for business reasons, I
want to be able to terminal service out and so on.

If the some feel it is the right thing to do, perhaps an ISP could offer a special service, of all
ports but 80 closed.  Maybe they could charge $5 more, and I bet it would be successful and many
people would use it, because, for whatever reason, they could not set up a firewall ont heir end.

Mrcorp