[Dshield] ISP Responsibity...

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Sun Aug 21 18:47:25 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from Mrcorp <mrcorp at yahoo.com> on Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:47:41
-0700 (PDT)

> I dont know, as I read this thread, it worries me that some of you are actually in favor of an ISP
> shutting down ports as it feels it should.  To me that is not appropriate.  Once an ISP shuts
> down, lets say 445, the attackers will attack another port, lets say 25.  So the attackers move to
> terminal services, and that gets shut down.  Before we know it, all ports are closed and we can
> barely surf the Internet.  Shutting down ports is not an answer.  its reactive and completly self
> defeats the Internet.

The ISPs have a choice either shut down port 25 or shut down the users computer
until it is cleaned up.  It appears that most ISPs prefer to shut port 25.  As
I have said earlier I have no problem with this because it does not prevent me
from using email even if I have my own server.

>  I want to be able to port scan from my computer, for business reasons, I
> want to be able to terminal service out and so on.

I think this is abuse.  I just wish there was some way to make ISPs and other
businesses stop this practice.  For now I just stop what I can at the firewall.