[Dshield] ISP Responsibity...

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Sun Aug 21 19:05:03 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from jayjwa <jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx> on Sun, 21 Aug 2005
11:32:49 -0400

> The ability to mail directly is functionality, and I don't see why I
> should lose this functionality being that I am not abusing it. I know I
> could "smarthost", but I enjoy running my own server, mails get where they
> are going faster, I know what the server said on the other end instead of
> assuming the mail made it because I see no more of it, and I don't have to
> content with misbehaving spam filters. What I write to people and what
> they say back is important to me, and I don't want to lose even one email
> of that to some filter that thought something was spam when it wasn't.

I do not see any lose of functionality relaying email through your ISPs server.
You will not see the return code directly but you will get a message from your
ISPs server if the email does not get delivered.  Currently I am not being
blocked on port 25 (but expect to be soon) but I have been sending all of my
email through my ISPs server for years (even when I had a server set up on my
own machine).  In my case the thing I am avoiding is having any ISP block my
email because I am considered a dial up line (I am on DSL).

> If we consider incoming too, then there is even more reason have your own
> server, as then I control what can come in at the door. It must be
> working, because by and large I don't see much spam, and only a few US
> ISP's whom have been cold towards me and of couse Chinanet do a block.

I agree with your statement about incoming email.  I would very definitely have
my own email server if my ISP did not allow me to NOT have them filter my email.