[Dshield] internet cafe's

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sun Aug 21 23:15:09 GMT 2005

On a trip recently to the boondocks, I stayed in a hotel with no
phones or internet and my cell phone was in dark territory.  There
were  2 internet cafes in town and neither would allow hooking up my
laptop so I was forced to use their windoze machine.  I spent the
first 20 minutes online running free antivirus checkers and spyware
checkers before checking webmail.  Luckily I setup a bogus webmail
account that was getting copies of my mail from my mailserver so I
checked that one.  The next day I changed that webmail password when
I was in a new location with direct access using ssh and vpn.

My question is does anyone have an idea of a better/safer way to
handle this type of situation short of a sat phone? I will be going
overseas in a couple of months and my understanding is that direct
'net access is much more problematic than it is here in north america.

TIA

Tom