[Dshield] Hiding IP's

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 22 03:05:46 GMT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:21:08 EDT, Aaron Lewis said:
> My original thought was to mask my public IP address to everything on the
> net. Not really sure. Hadn't thought it through that far. I guess you really
> can be invisible to a web server and I don't do much Usenet stuff so I guess
> what I'm thinking is not so much security as anonymity. Just trying to be
> invisible, sort of as much as possible.

"as much as possible" depends on who you're trying to be invisible from, and
how many laws you're willing to break in doing it. It's one thing if you're
just trying to confuse companies that track you around the web (web bugs,
anybody? ;) - it's quite another if you're trying to fly under the radar of
multiple TLA's that are actively looking for you.

As a practical matter, the easiest way to confuse the adversary at the current
time would be to just go wardriving, and use a different open access point
each time you connect.  Consult competent legal assistance *before* trying this. ;)