[Dshield] l33t idiots (was Re: Hiding IP's

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 22 10:02:24 GMT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:36:41 PDT, Brian Dessent said:

> But in whole you're right, I should have not stated in such stark terms
> that spoofing was completely out of the question.  I guess the crux of
> my argument was more along the lines of "ignore the l33t idiots that
> claim that they spoof their IP address for surfing web sites" and not
> "spoofing is impossible."

Only a l33t idiot would claim that, because anybody with kl00 would realize
it's useless for web surfing, because the content gets sent to the spoofed
address (in fact, making sure the spoofed target doesn't notice and throw
an RST packet is part of the challenge ;)

Of course, I'm continually amazed by the number of people of all hat
color persuasions who pretend they have a "Kl00-stick of W00tness" when
it's really a toothpick.  Apparently, they missed the "Objects in mirror
are smaller than they appear" sticker.... ;)

Which begs the question:  What's everybody's favorite "clue-deficit-disorder"
story? :)