[Dshield] Banks Shifting Logins to Non-SSL Pages

Craig Webster craig at xeriom.net
Wed Aug 24 13:04:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, August 24, 2005 13:00, Stephane Grobety said:
> ET> Well as far as Https being intensive on processing power, there are
> ET> hardware based, asic based devices specifically meant to offload SSL
> ET> encryption schemes from overwhelmed servers.
>
> It still makes it more expensive to serve a web page over SSL. There
> are other issues: with HTTP, you can easy share the load over several
> servers. With HTTPS, however, you're creating a very strong affinity
> between the client and the server that answered.

In the context of a banks IT budget I doubt that a https load balancing
device would even show up.

If the server that 'answered' was an https load balancing device then
you've created an affinity only between the client and the
load-balancer... the individual servers can still be balanced.

Yours,
Craig
--
Craig Webster | mob: +44 7921 217 445