[Dshield] Correction

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Thu Aug 25 02:07:04 GMT 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 11:16, Mike Wydra wrote:
> Mike Wydra (Yup, that's me) wrote:
> >We just had a discussion about "on-line courtesy," yet you chose to
> >post my e-mail addy in the clear.
>
> I made a mistake. "Justin S." DOES post almost everyone's e-mail addy in
> the clear. In the ONE example that I had looked at - he didn't (that was a
> quote he took from Cefiar). I should have looked at more examples before I
> jumped the gun.

 1. He posted that message with a number of replies in it. I'm assuming he
therefore replied and wiped all content (auto-comment stuff) clean, and then
cut-pasted in his own content.
 2. The behaviour you describe is actually becoming a more common part of many
email clients. It can be very useful when you get a number of people on list
that have the same name (eg: John Smith, John Smith and John Smith for
example - which one wrote the original post you're commenting on? - the only
unique identifier is their email address).

If you're that worried about it:
 a. Petition the writers of the email clients in question to remove this
behaviour by default.
 b. Email every user that does it off-list and ask them to amend their
auto-reply settings (most clients with this functionality allow you to change
it's behaviour) to remove the email address (it's usually a macro) from the
default Reply phrases.

BTW: If you're worried about spam-collection bots on the web getting to the
online archives and collecting your address, then perhaps you should really
be talking to the list admin (Johannes) about implementing anti-spam stuff in
the online archives/forums on the content, and not just the headers. The only
issue with this is then email messages with anything that looks like an email
address will be munged. This could include snort rules, advisory info, etc,
rendering the info available via the web useless. This sort of defeats the
purpose of the list, and so I do not expect Johannes to do much about it. Of
course, that said, you could reduce the munging to the first text line of the
email, which is the usual offender. Meh, I could go back and forth for hours
on this subject, but lets stop here before I get booted from the list for not
being on-subject. *grin*

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world, and while the tools available
help, there isn't always a pretty solution.

PS: I'm actually a list administrator for about 12 or so email lists, running
on at least 2 different types of email list software, and have experience
with a few more pieces of list software besides. I'm also old-school enough
to have been around for most of the BBS era, even running my own BBS for 8
yrs, which I must admit can be very similar to running a mailing list, except
the users were no where near as behaved as most people on email lists. It's
never easy to get the balance between the users correct, and sometimes you
just have to say "This is the way it's going to be" and live with the
consequences. I understand all the troubles that Johannes has to deal with as
a list admin, and he has my utmost thanks for his persistance in providing
this list.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net