[Dshield] Is this common : Fake stock spam ?

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Fri Aug 26 14:31:06 GMT 2005

Stock manipulation has been around on the net for a long time.  You
can forward their attempts to manipulate US markets to
enforcement at sec.gov

Tom

At 4:21 PM +0200 8/26/05, Leeuwen, Allan van wrote:
>Hi list ...
>
>This is the first time I have received spam that tries to promote a
>certain stock. I'm sure it's from a company that's about to go bankrupt
>(hence the 0.02c per share) or a completely non existing company. How
>can they get a non existing company onto the stock market though ??
>
>The nice detail here is that they ask you to do a search on the company
>name 'Spooz', which actually brings up some sites with info, but none of
>them show that the company actually has a product for sale (you can't
>order it anywhere). The product page is nothing more then an animated
>gif. It reminds me of the movie 'Boiler room', where a whole room full
>of agents were trained to sell fake stocks, to bring the price of the
>stock up (create fake demand) after which they would dump their shares
>for a better price, making their clients stock worthless. The stock
>would never recover since there was no actual product behind the
>company.
>
>Has anybody seen this before ?

Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC
<tshaw at oitc.com>, http://www.oitc.com/
US Phone Numbers: 321-984-3714, 321-729-6258(fax),
321-258-2475(cell/voice mail,pager)
Text Paging: http://www.oitc.com/Pager/sendmessage.html
http://www.oitc.com/Antarctica/

PGP Public Keys available at:
<A HREF="ldap://keyserver.pgp.com/">PGP's Key Server</A>
<A HREF="http://www.oitc.com/OITC/PGPKeys.html">OITC's Public Key List</A>
14A7 A308 266A 3646 FBA8  9A86 E139 F108 B1BE 37BD