[Dshield] F-Secure: So who is Diabl0?

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Tue Aug 30 07:31:23 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 03:08 -0400, jayjwa wrote:
> People or business that get whacked by this stuff should feel ashamed:
> it's akin to leaving your car door open with the engine running all night
> in the middle of the city, then coming back in the morning and wondering
> where your car is.

The problem is that MS Car 1.0 had door locks that are defective. People
found that out quickly and the manufacturer made an upgrade available
that included stronger locks. However, only on the driver side. Now
people are opening the passenger doors and slide on the driver seat.

What I'm saying is, that it's not the fault of the users to secure their
systems. The systems are broken such that they can not be secured
easily. However, the users may be at fault for buying such badly
designed... uhm... cars in the first place. The security woes started
with the purchasing decisions which were based on other factors than
security.

I'm gonna resist to talk about the complexity of todays ....uhm... cars
and how that added complexity (by bolting on stuff instead of
redesigning) hurts security. The biggest threat to security is
complexity. I hope we will soon come to that realization and start
"de-complexifying" our networks. The next wave of consultants will be
those that specialize in simplifying IT infrastructure so that security
as well as manageability and reliability can be restored.

If you like to add another service to your security portfolio, make it
"simplification" of IT.

Cheers,
Frank
(late night rambl^H^H^H^H^Hmusings)

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.