[Dshield] How much of the Internet did Katrina take down?

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Wed Aug 31 17:03:47 GMT 2005

TheGesus wrote:

>Someone asked me why they couldn't get to www.dameware.com and it
>turns out by running whois that the name is registered to a company
>very near New Orleans and on the banks of Lake Pontchartrain.
>
>Obviously, dameware.com probably isn't coming back online soon.
>
>I can imagine a number of vendors got knocked out by this.
>
>Any idea who else is out for the near term?

As the governor of Louisiana has ordered the evacuation of New Orleans,
I wouldn't look for any of probably hundreds if not thousands of
companies to be responsive, even if their web sites were still online.

I would look at this as a two part question: how to find out what web
hosts kept data centers in New Orleans, followed by how to find out who
the customers of those hosts were!

--
Alan Frayer
Technology Consultant