[Dshield] How much of the Internet did Katrina take down?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Aug 31 19:26:13 GMT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:14:17 PDT, "Witt, Allen" said:
> I'd be willing to bet that a high percentage of sites are down in the New
> Orleans/Biloxi area, and not just because of power issues. Contacts in the
> area are telling us that they have emergency power via generators, but the
> data lines and their demarks are still under water and will be that way for
> a while.

directNIC stayed on the air: http://www.directnic.com/katrina.php

As somebody pointed out on the NANOG list, telco hotels in Manhattan for the
most part did OK on 9/11 (although 60 Hudson had issues with dust fouling the
genset's air filters IIRC) - things got sticky for them around 9/14 or 9/15,
when their fuel tanks ran dry and they couldn't get diesel deliveries.

With I-10 basically gone entirely and water all over the place, any ISP still
on the air is almost certainly on a hill or the 11th floor of a building, and
not able to get supplies in.

And there's an often-overlooked thing just as crucial as diesel for the genset:

The directNIC guys who stayed probably have at least a 3 day walk to the
closest fast-food place that's actually open.  Lack of food and water for the
NOC monkeys will shut you down just as effectively as lack of diesel....