[Dshield] Remote incident handling tool

Mark markt442 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 12:04:14 GMT 2005

Pete,

Look at "Helix" a distro that already has a lot of the
tools you are looking for. It was developed by the
folks at e-fense. www.e-fense.com/helix/

It is based on knoppix, there are others that are
based on kanotix such as Auditor.

If this is a "for profit" effort, you may want to
check the license on the distros before going forward
- e.g. GPL. If the distro is released under GPL you
may want to take a hard look at how it would be used.

Alternatively you could use VMWare Player, but still
be aware of GPL or GNU licensing for any open source
tools you intend to use.

Google on "knoppix" and you'll find plenty of
well-known and some obscure knoppix distros that are
built "for purpose". Some of these sites have good
documentation and may save you some time.

Good luck!

Mark