[Dshield] Message headers

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Dec 1 22:34:59 GMT 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:46:54 EST, steven parks said:
> the last line is added by your own server and can't be forged (unless your
> server has been compromised of course), all the rest can be forged.

Actually, it's the *topmost* Received: line, and subsequent lines that form an
*unbroken* chain of "Received: from XYZ by <machine of yours>", where XYZ is
*also* a machine of yours.  In my particular case, there are usually 4 to 5 of
these added by machines I trust (as they're admin'ed by either myself or the
guy in the next cubicle).  The next Received: line is possibly open to forgery,
as it's not one written by your systems - it was created by some other system.

So analyzing the headers of the message I'm replying to:

*Any* subsequent lines, including From/To/cc and the entire body, are open for
forgery, *including* lower-down Received: lines.