[Dshield] PC exhibiting weird behavior

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:30:16 GMT 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:15:08 EST, Michael Schooley said:
> Correct me if wrong but I believe Microsoft's Anti-Spyware does the same
> monitoring as teatimer and will apparently soon be free and have enterprise
> management components.

Free? Why do you think it could *possibly* be free?  Microsoft, via their
system design and coding practices, created this huge multi-billion dollar
market for anti-bletchware.  There's reason to believe that Vista won't have
the corporate uptake needed to force Microsoft's income up. You expect they'll
pass up a chance to make some money on it?  There's at least one company that's
already negotiated what was basically "You pay us and we won't flag your
software as spyware" contract.

And even if they don't actually *charge* you for it, it's quite likely you'll
end up paying for it in one way or another  (remember that lost time and added
aggravation have their costs too). Hint:  why do you have any *reasonable*
expectation that their anti-bletchware scanner will be any more secure or able
to stop anything than their base operating system product?