[Dshield] Email Confirmations stopped again...

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Sat Dec 10 20:20:51 GMT 2005

Aaron Lewis wrote:

>I'm getting my confirmations but then the report mail says I haven't
>submitted any reports today.

We had to take the database server down yesterday to replace some bad
memory. During this time, report processing stopped and it took a while
to catch up.

I added a quite detailed "system status" page to the site, to allow more
insight into the inner workings and the status of the site. Will add
more details to this as issues may come up. See:

http://www.dshield.org/status.php

its not very user friendly as it was originally build for internal use
only. But here a couple things to watch:

A report is first written to the "unparsed" queue. If things work right,
this queue should only be a few megabyte in size and the oldest unparsed
report should be "younger" then 5 minutes.

Once parsed (at which point the confirmation is sent), the report is
added to a parsed queue. This queue can get quite large (usually a few
hundred MByte, can get up to 2 GByte).

The parsed queue is imported in to the database twice an hour, unless
the old import is still in progress at which point it will slow down.

If an import exceeds 1 Million records, the system switches into
'catch-up' mode. In this mode, some of the reports are not updated to
speed up processing.