[Dshield] Standalone firewall for ics at home

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Wed Dec 14 05:50:52 GMT 2005

** Reply to message from Benjamin Koch <BK-D at gmx.de> on Tue, 13 Dec 2005
18:20:54 +0100

> I have a little problem.
> Maybe its off topic but I hope you can help me :)
> I have a linux router with a nice firewall. I want to reduce my energy
> costs and have the same security level as before.
> I have a little network (5PCs) and they are all connected to the
> Internet by that router.

I am probably the wrong person to be answering this but.  I have a computer
that has a firewall and is the gateway machine for my home LAN.  I don't think
I would be able to tell from my electric bill if it was on or off but since I
have a swimming pool that is probably 1/3 of the bill it sort of hides other
things in the house.  My son just uses a Linksys router with NAT which seems to
keep out most intruders but does not keep out things from sites that you or,
more likely your children, visit.  He is in the habit of just restoring, from
recovery CDs, every two or three months (he has four teenagers), to keep things
in fairly good order.  Myself I like the more robust firewalls so I keep my
gateway computer running 24/7 and have not had any problems to date (keeping my
fingers crossed just in case).