[Dshield] Standalone firewall for ics at home

Pieter-Bas IJdens incidents at nospam.mi4.org.uk
Wed Dec 14 13:50:33 GMT 2005

Abuse wrote:
>> I have a linux router with a nice firewall. I want to reduce my energy
>> costs and have the same security level as before.
>> I have a little network (5PCs) and they are all connected to the
>> Internet by that router.
>>

> ... Myself I like the more robust firewalls so I keep my
> gateway computer running 24/7 and have not had any problems to date (keeping my
> fingers crossed just in case).
What I did was get a Linksys WRT54GS and I re-flashed it with openwrt
(http://openwrt.org/), which essentially means that afterwards it's a
linux machine. I configured the iptables firewall on the system exactly
the same way I previously configured the one on the linux gateway. That
linksys box will set you back less than EUR100, and this way you can
keep your current firewall configuration. Plus after re-flashing it with
openwrt it can do many extra things that the system can't do out of the
box. For example, I use that system for routing and filtering ipv6
traffic as well.

  Pieter-Bas