[Dshield] Standalone firewall for ics at home

mary malum at freeshell.org
Wed Dec 14 16:21:44 GMT 2005

> This is not in line with your thinking BUT if you're looking to save energy
> replace all of your CRT monitors with LCD. The average 17" CRT uses between
> 300 and 400 watts. The average 17" LCD uses 30 watts.

Using the serial ports for console/dumb terminal would be much cheaper.  A
"PC" running 24/7/365 only costs $70.00 a year, per PC that is. (ymmv.)

> Other than that I would tell you to look at the Netscreen 5GT from Juniper
> Networks but I don't know if they're multi lingual. I understand that the
> Symantec products are supposed to be very nice, although I have no personal
> experience with these.

NS5GT is an excellent choice, I own one too.  Anything Juniper makes is
high quality, IMHO.

If cost is an issue.. consider OpenBSD using its native firewall (pf), the
only down side to this is learning the ruleset syntax I suppose.

-m