[Dshield] Wireless network planning

Bo Mendenhall Bo.Mendenhall at hsc.utah.edu
Tue Dec 20 18:13:05 GMT 2005

Many wireless solutions come with a poor man's version of this (Aruba
Networks, Cisco's Airespace, and Trapeze that I know of) - generally
very few bells and whistles and not overly accurate.  Effectively
determining the # of APs you use is based largely on the applications
you will be piping across your WLAN.  If you plan to do a voice
deployment your density of APs would generally be greater than if your
needs are to provide causal access to the internet and e-mail.

The best tool (most accurate) I have seen to date is from Wireless
Valley (http://www.wirelessvalley.com) albeit quite pricey.  Other tools
such as AirMagnet's Surveyor
(http://www.airmagnet.com/products/surveyor.htm) or Ekahau's Site Survey
tool (http://www.ekahau.com) are good, but not as comprehensive as
Wireless Valley in my opinion.  Doing a site survey is important, but
remember it's a snapshot in time - and the RF may look very different a
month later (neighbors adding APs, microwaves, 2.4GHz phones etc.)  The
wireless vendor products mentioned above (Aruba, Cisco & Trapeze) - and
others I'm sure - offer RF tuning components to their products to help
minimize the effects of a changing RF landscape.

>>> Rik.Kershaw-Moore at avonandsomerset.police.uk 12/20/2005 1:13:38 AM

Sadly I've not come across such a piece of software, sofar.  We still
do a
back of the fag packet calc and then go off and do an RF survey.

>I'm wondering if there is a tool somewhere that would help in
determining
the number of
>AP's I might need for an area of X square feet and of Y construction.

You have probably already found this link -

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/2212591

And the O'Reilly Book "Building Wireless Community Networks" offers
some
very useful advice indeed:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesscommnet2/

Sorry to be of little help,

Rik

Internet e-mail is not to be treated as a secure means
of communication.  The Avon and Somerset Constabulary
monitors all internet e-mail activity and content.
This communication is confidential and intended for the
addressee(s) only.  Unauthorised use or disclosure of
the content may be unlawful.  Opinions expressed in
this document may not be official policy.
Thank you for your cooperation.
(C)Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk
Learn about Intrusion Detection in Depth from the comfort of your own
couch:

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org