[Dshield] OT Curiosity question

Tony Earnshaw tonni at barlaeus.nl
Thu Dec 22 14:20:20 GMT 2005

Joel Esler wrote:

[...]

> This would indicate to me that the United States is not ready for
> telecommuting.  Anyone else know why we are so far behind Europe?

Availability of high-class, high-bandwidth, *affordable* (less than -
say - less than $20 per month for 2Mb/s download/750 kb/s upload)
(wireless?) ADSL broadband? No modem or installation costs? VOIP?

I live in Holland, am a Linux/Windows sysadmin and can do 95% of my work
from home. Obviously I miss the collegiality and can't be present at any
physical machine reconfiguration/reset (nor taste Sami's delicious
Javan/Suriname  canteen cooking at my work place in Amsterdam). However,
I do get to let my 6 cats out and in more or less 24x7 and go to the
local village store whenever it's open, etc. etc. Plus avoid the 3-hour
per-day commuting time it costs to get from "my village" to Amsterdam
and back.

Here in Holland, ADSL broadband started out a couple of years ago as a
rich man's toy, and even though there's really only one main provider
(KPN, which has bought out something like 90% volume of all Dutch ISPs)
it's gradually evolved into something that just about everyone has and
can afford.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw