[Dshield] OT Curiosity question

Jean-Pierre Schwickerath dshield at hilotec.net
Thu Dec 22 19:03:13 GMT 2005

> I have a 4 MB/s down and 750 Up.  I think I remember reading
> something about Europe having Gigabit to the house in some areas.

You certainly mean ex-eastern Germany where they put glass fiber
everywhere in the 1990s because they though fiber to the desktop was the
future... Then came xDSL which requires copper wires and all the glass
fiber was for nothing. It's there but merely noone uses it because it's
too expensive to deploy.

But within Europe the differences are quite big too, whereas in France
you can get up to > 20Mbits (downstream) in certain areas, there is no
way to dream of such a thing in Switzerland where there is basically no
competition because of the monopolist Swisscom (2.4Mbits is the fastest
downstream on adsl, sdsl goes up to 1.8Mbits). In Germany you can
certainly get 6Mbits many cities...
I don't know about the other countries but I believe it's always a
question of how free the market is and how big the city is where you
live. These are the main factors that influence whether providers
invest in fast broadband accesses.

Regards,
Jean-Pierre

--